- July 21, 2023
- Personal Injury
When you have been injured in an accident caused by another party’s negligence, you may need a personal injury lawyer. Personal injury lawyers fight to get fair compensation for injury victims to pay for medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages that often result from dangerous accidents. While you are not required by law to hire an attorney to file an insurance claim or lawsuit when you have been in an accident, it can be to your great financial benefit to do so. This is especially true in cases involving serious accidents, catastrophic injuries, or when numerous parties are involved in the accident. The more complex the case, the more you need a personal injury lawyer to protect your rights and interests.
Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
There are many benefits to hiring a personal injury lawyer:
- A personal injury lawyer will relieve you of the stress of handling the numerous complicated steps in a claim, allowing you to focus on your health and recuperation.
- Having your own lawyer will put you on equal footing with the insurance company and/or at-fault party, who will have their own attorneys.
- Your lawyer knows what evidence is needed to establish fault and will gather the appropriate evidence to build your case.
- If liability for your injuries is being disputed or if the insurer is trying to shift blame to you for the accident, your personal injury lawyer will stand up for your interests.
- Your lawyer will help you determine the full value of your claim based on the losses you have experienced now and those you may experience in the future because of your injuries.
- Experienced personal injury attorneys understand the insurance negotiations process and can often get fair settlements and avoid trial.
- Your attorney can identify and retain healthcare professionals, car accident reconstruction experts, manufacturing experts, and other expert witnesses if needed to help prove your case.
- If your case should go to trial, your attorney will argue on your behalf before the judge or jury.
An additional benefit is that many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means that you only pay legal fees when they get you a settlement or award. If you don’t get compensation, you don’t pay.
When to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
When should you hire a personal injury lawyer after an accident? While there is no specific deadline, the sooner you hire one the better. Without legal guidance, you may find your interests being violated by insurers and their lawyers. After all, the insurance company is going to look out for its own policyholder and its own bottom line before taking care of you. The insurer may pressure you to take a lowball offer that does not fairly compensate you for your damages so that it can get your claim off its books while saving money. Once you have signed on that dotted line, you will probably be out of luck in getting the money you are truly entitled to receive.
If you hire a personal injury lawyer soon after your accident and before you speak to insurers, you will have a legal expert guiding you throughout the claims process and ensuring you do not make mistakes that will negatively affect your case. You will be advised right from the beginning about what you should and should not do to protect your own rights and interests so that you avoid being shortchanged.
Types of Accidents a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help With
There are many types of accidents a personal injury lawyer can help you with. Some of the most common accidents and incidents that lead to claims and lawsuits include:
- Car accidents and other motor vehicle accidents.
- Slip and fall accidents and other premises liability issues.
- Sports injuries caused by negligent parties.
- Consumer products that malfunction and cause injuries.
- Dog bites and other injuries caused by animals.
- Medical malpractice by doctors and other healthcare providers.
As you can see, there are many different incidents that can lead to personal injury claims. Even if yours is not listed here, if it was due to a negligent action or intentional act, you may be able to file a claim for compensation.
Injuries in Negligent Accidents
Injuries in car crashes, motorcycle accidents, falls, and in other types of accidents can be serious and even catastrophic. Types of injuries that are frequently seen in serious accident cases include traumatic brain injuries, concussions, spinal damage, back and neck injuries, broken bones, soft tissue damage, organ damage, and bruising and scarring. Severe injuries are expensive to treat and can leave you unable to work and support your family. You may need help around the house and even assistance with dressing, eating, and other basic care. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney will examine all the impacts of your injuries and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you are considering filing a personal injury lawsuit, you should be aware of the filing deadline. The Kansas statute of limitations gives you two years from the date of your accident, or the date you discovered you were injured, to file a claim. Generally, you will lose your right to file if you miss the deadline, although there are some exceptions to the statute. When you hire a personal injury lawyer, they can advise you about specific deadlines for your case.
Get Help from Our Experienced Topeka Personal Injury Lawyers
At the Palmer Law Group, our personal injury lawyers have the experience needed to take on legal opponents and win, whether over the negotiating table or in the courtroom. When you hire a personal injury attorney from our firm, you can trust that we will work diligently to get you the best possible outcome based on the facts of your case. Let us help you hold accountable the negligent party who caused your injuries.Call our Topeka law firm today at (785) 233-1836 to arrange a free, confidential consultation.